BACKGROUND

 

  • The Municipality of Poro was founded on December 15, 1701 but was given recognition by the Spanish Colonial Government only on January 16, 1780 through the efforts of Pedro Estrera who was named the first Captain of Poro as recognition of his leadership.

 

  • The name Poro came from the Waray word “puro”, meaning island.

 

  • The alcalde mayor of Cebu thought that it was better for the natives to unify and defend themselves from the attacks. Poro at that time had two settlements: Maktang (now a sitio of Barangay Esperanza of Poro) and Tag-Anito (now the municipality of Tudela). A conflict arose as to which settlement should become the seat of government. On the advice of Panganuron, an elder who lived on the banks of a river (now Barangay Libertad), the two settlements journeyed on foot towards each other at the break of day. They met on the site of what is now Poblacion, Poro, approximately eight kilometers from both settlements. On that day, inhabitants of the two settlements came to live together for the first time. They built a chapel on this site which later on was improved and became the parish church. The establishment of Poro brought about the creation of three more parishes in the Camotes Islands: Pilar (1859), San Francisco (1863) and Tudela (1898).

 

  • The Philippine Commission Act 952 was enacted on October 22, 1902 reverting back Camotes Islands to Cebu Province. Earlier, the Spanish government have annexed Poro and the rest of the Camotes Islands to Leyte because of geographical proximity. Perhaps Camotes was seen as nearer Cebu City, the seat of the Cebu Government, than Leyte’s seat of government which is Tacloban City. Other events followed: five days after Camotes joined Cebu, Poro was annexed to Tudela, a former settlement of Poro. In 1909, it was reestablished again as a municipality although the seat of government remained in Tudela until 1914 when the seat was finally transferred to Poro.

 

  • A distinction that separates Porohanons from the rest of Camotes Islands is their subdialect which is a combination of Cebuano, Waray, Boholano and Ilonggo. The patois is profusely spattered with the letter “z” and spoken with a thick accent.

 

  • Poro is composed of 17 barangays, namely:

 

  1. Altavista
  2. Adela
  3. Cagcagan
  4. Cansabusab
  5. Daan Paz
  6. Eastern Poblacion
  7. Esperanza
  8. Libertad
  9. Mabini
  10. Mercedes
  11. Pagsa
  12. Paz
  13. Rizal
  14. San Jose
  15. Sta. Rita
  16. Teguis
  17. Western Poblacion

 

The present administration is led by Mayor Luciano D. Rama, Jr., with Edgar G. Rama as the Vice-Mayor. The Sangguniang Bayan is composed of Roel P. Morata, Reza G. Borlasa, Emie P. Carcellar Jr., William G. Surbano, Ian T. Estrera, Augustus D. Zurita, Fritz Dalumpines, Dervin Yuzon and ABC President Dina Z. Rama.

 

  • Poro is a recipient of the bronze and silver categories of the Seal of Good Housekeeping awarded by DILG to LGUs practicing transparency, accountability and participatory decision-making.